Iranian death metal band, Azooma, is without a fucking doubt my favorite underground band in the entire world. They have put out but one album, but it is so amazing that to this day it manages to capture my imagination with its demanding presence, amazing feel, and brutal everything. “A Hymn of the Vicious Monster” is an absolute marvel of modern death metal that is taken to the max with this band creating an epic journey that went under my radar the year it came out, otherwise it would have easily made my Top 25 list. But alas, I was late, but this album is still fantastic, and the band was kind enough to take time out of their busy schedule of recording their currently unnamed follow-up to “A Hymn of the Vicious Monster” to answer some questions I had for them. So go below and hopefully you’ll be come interested in this band after reading what they had to say.
Let me just say to begin with that I am a huge fan of Azooma after hearing “A Hymn of the Vicious Monster” for the first time. It is an insanely good album that I could never have seen coming. It truly is an underrated record of death metal and I cannot wait for future material. Thank you so much for the opportunity to ask you some questions.
- “A Hymn of the Vicious Monster” is about a normal man who transformed into a monster under the right circumstance. I know that you know that. What inspired you guys to create an album that had such a gruesome theme?
We have been interested in horror stories since our childhood and we crave horror movies and books. We wanted our ep to be more than just a conceptual musical album and when a person listens to it, He imagines the scenes and stories in his mind and actually sees it like a horror movie or like when you use imagination while you’re reading a gothic book.
- Continuing on with theme, I understand that Azooma is working on a sophomore album, for which I am extremely excited for! Is it at all possible for you to give us an idea as to what the theme will be like this time around? I understand if it’s still a work in progress or if you don’t want to disclose anything and spoil something.
Well, As you probably knew we can’t reveal much about it before the official announcement, But we can tell you that it’s a conceptual full length album more than 60 minutes long and it’s scarier and more complex and we have many great surprises in this new upcoming album.
- Do you plan to have the same setup for the next album? By “setup” I mean instrumental tracks to begin and finish the album, 5+ minute songs, few tracks, and a track listing like a table of content like you did for “A Hymn of the Vicious Monster”?
Actually it has more tracks and tracks are even longer than the previous one and this one will be kinda like theatrical. And as you knew it’s conceptual too.
- The cover art for “A Hymn of the Vicious Monster” was absolutely magnificent as I’m sure you know. Do you guys plan to have the same artist (Shahryar Shervin) and/or the same style for the next album?
Yes, He did design the artworks of this album too and this one is more in comic books style and expressionism. He did wonderful and this one is more amazing than what he did for ” A Hymn of the Vicious Monster”.
- Would you ever consider making an album that wouldn’t be considered to be technical death metal or even just death metal?
We decided our style to be Death Metal with some Progressive elements under the name of AZOOMA, But we have to confess that we have considered to create music in other styles in different projects.
- Let’s switch gears for a moment. Some people may not realize that you guys are from Iran. What’s it been like to be one of the most underrated and unknown death metal bands to come out of that region of the world?
Everyone in every places on this world has his own problems and what’s the benefits of talking about problems. We love this style of music and we are happy at our own hearts about what we have done and we keep doing what we love and it’s really great.
- With this new record, what do you guys hope to do with it after its release? International touring? Promoting on European and/or American radio? Or just continue doing what you’ve done so far?
Well, We hope that we can perform live shows in different places as many as we can to have the pure relation with the audience and see their reactions directly.
- What has been the best experience that you’ve had the honor of having happen to you since the release of “A Hymn of the Vicious Monster” last year?
We didn’t expect this much good comments from listeners around the world. As you know we got many good reviews from different websites of different countries, Most of them were above 8 out of 10 points and when some people from south America to Europe and even United States sent us photos of themselves holding our CD, It really has given us energy and positive vibes about what we did.
- Of all the bands of the world, which ones have been the most influential that helped Azooma become what it is today? Any Middle Eastern bands like you on that list by any chance?
Well there are so many bands in different styles actually we listen to every sorts of music and we get ideas almost from everything. Bands like: Death, Black Sabbath, Kreator, Opeth, Judas Priest, Savatage, Pantera and on and on…
- Alright, one last question: of all the things off of this new album are you most excited to show off to the fans? The technicality, sound, theme, diversity between instruments? I again understand if you don’t want to say too much.
We tried to change the atmosphere of songs into more apocalypse way and for achieving that we add more instruments like keyboards and many sound effects.
Thank you again for allowing me to ask you these questions. I hope you guys have the best possible future that you can have with both your careers and personal lives. I absolutely cannot wait for your next album whenever it comes out. You can bet your asses I’ll be on top of that the moment I see it comes out. Good luck with it, and until next time, you have an excellent day!
Thank you so much for giving us this opportunity and thanks a lot to the readers and the ones who are interested in our music and support us. This upcoming new album will surprise you. Keep on going. Keep Metal alive. Stay crazy \m/
As I said, “A Hymn of the Vicious Monster” is an amazing album in every sense of the term. If you even call yourself a remote death metal fan you must check this album out. Combining the best of the best, Azooma manages to create something special, and just looking at the cover art makes me excited for their next album. There’s no release date for it, no cover art, preview, single, or anything else for when the album will come out. But you know what? I’m just fine with that. I want Azooma to take all the time they need. I’ve confidence that they will create something that will make me pre-order the CD from a single alone and that’s something I never do. I cannot urge you enough to keep an eye on this band as it is something you will not forget, I promise you. One of the most promising bands in the entire world to me, Azooma have shown with one album alone that they are way ahead of the curb and that makes them fucking awesome.
BUY/HEAR “A Hymn of the Vicious Monster” on Bandcamp here.
LISTEN to the track “Chapter II: Eridanus Supervoid” via YouTube below.
LIKE Azooma on Facebook here.
FOLLOW Azooma on Twitter : @AZOOMAOfficial